Ross Eathorne is one of Asia’s leading fitness and wellbeing coaches and is renowned for his holistic approach to health, fitness and performance.
Ross started studying exercise science 26 years ago as a strategy to get into physiotherapy school with no intention to work in the seemingly superficial world of the fitness industry. He changed his mind when the concept of functional and holistic fitness came along and realised that you can make a greater impact on a persons health, weight control, stress management and high-performance as a personal trainer than you can as a physiotherapist.
His learning is extensive and intensive includes and peppered with many mistakes which he passes on how to recognise the traps and negotiate their way around obstacles that crop up in life.
Ross burnt-out from competing in a silly amount of international Sport Aerobic and MR Fitness championships without adequate rest. This overtraining combined with poor food choices (protein bars, pop-corn, fast -food combos) and eating at irregular times to fit in training, digestion and clients, lack of sleep because of early morning starts and a late night study schedule, financial pressure to pay off credit-cards, niggly injuries and not getting the sporting results he wanted exhausted adrenal glands and chronic fatigue syndrome.
Although a World Champion Mr Fitness, National Coach and leading Personal Trainer he was far from the epitome of wellness, – he propped himself up with caffeine and sugar, was irritable with loved ones and led him to question his passion, purpose and values he had invested in elite level sport and the work-life balance equation.
Fortunately Ross recognised the loss of balance and took a sabbatical at a Fitness and Well-being resort, where he had an epiphany that changed his outlook on health, fitness and performance – that is your need to adapt your lifestyle, intention (ambition), nutrition and exercise to your cumulative levels of stress or total physiological load.
Since that realisation Ross has been studying holistic fitness and integrating those philosophies into clients programmes and lifestyle so that they feel, look and think better.
Ross created The R.O.A.M Method “Movement for L.I.F.E” and uses it as a framework to train elite athletes, corporate executives, personal trainers, coaches, 100’s of individuals clients. Ross has written three books to help others do the same.
Now Ross helps others train, move and live with purpose, intention and also help fitness professionals elevate their careers and become effective change-makers and high level coaches.
5 little known (until now) facts about Ross
- He has ran away from the bulls in the Festival San Fermin, Pamplona, Spain.
- Worked as a sailing instructor in the South of France.
- Caddied at the Omega Hong Kong Open.
- Gave a Lifestyle talk at a location only accessible by helicopter.
- First real job was an Accounts Clerk for a Finance Company, but disliked the corporate life and wanted to be a physiotherapist.
- Strength and Conditioning coach (and sweep) to 5 Times Stanley Cup Mixed Champions (Trainer since 2005)
- Trainer to Jockey Vincent Ho, Olympic hopefuls Marathon runner Crystal Vut, Tennis player Coleman Wong, and professional football player Wong Wai.
- Strength & conditioning coach to professional boxer Rex Tso
- Worked with Golfer Nick Faldo and many podium places getters at international competitions
- Presenter at Idea World in 2017
- Presenter at AsiaFit Thailand and China, Nike Super Conference, Fibo in China, Active Masters in China.
- Giving a corporate wellness talk in Hawaii at a place only accessible by helicopter
- CHEK Practitioner Level IV
- CHEK Holistic Lifestyle Coach III
- TRX Senior Master Instructor
- BBS in Sports coaching and management (Major and minors completed)
- Advanced diploma in Exercise Science
- LIFE Fitness Master Trainer
- Hedstrom Master Trainer
- TP Therapy Master Trainer
- Westside Barbell
- Crossfit coach, gymnastics, mobility
- Exuberant Animal
- DNS “A”
- NASM Corrective Exercise Specialist
- Studied Yoga and Qi Gong
- Student of Shamanism
- NKT Level 1 course completed
- Qi Gong Practitioner course
- Yoga Alliance Instructor course (150/250 hours)
- IBF & NABBA World Mr Fitness
- New Zealand Champion and representative at over 10 world sport aerobic championships
- New Zealand National Coach for Sport Aerobics
- Wellington Provincial rugby representative
- Bronze medal world crew championship for Dragon boating
- 250 km ultramarathons in Sahara and Atacama deserts
- First in Dragon Run outrigger race OC2
- Raiders rugby team league champions 2017
- Spartan sprint finisher.